Friday 26 March 2010

Fabric Friday - Anna Maria Horner

It' Friday, which means it's time to indulge my passion for print with Fabric Friday!  I have had another successful trip to the library and came home with Seams to Me by Anna Maria Horner.  I love sewing books, especially one by textile designers so was thrilled to find another great book full of projects.....I am hoping on my next trip I will find a magicial book explaining how to make a couple of extra hours a day so I can try out the ideas in my growing collection of books! (This expanded yesterday as it was my birthday and my lovely husband listened to the hints for Poppy Treffry's new book & Sew by Cath Kidston).  I will start writing reviews for my collection of books very soon....watch this space!!

Anyway back to Fabric Friday. Thoughts of Anna Maria Horner's designs automatically conjures images of bright colours and bold prints.  The latest range 'Folksy Flannels' is Anna Maria's first flannel collection and is inspired by the much admired 'Little Folks' and 'Good Folks' collections, that leave me thinking of cosy nights in a cottage reminiscent of fairytale books I read as a child.  I can almost sense the wolf knocking on Grandma's door.  Yet the 'Good Folks' collection makes me think of the gorgeous quilts hanging to dry in the 'Mamma Mia' movie. No surprise then that Anna Maria is of Greek heritage embracing the vibrant mix of colour and pattern that can only make us think of warm summer nights on Greek islands.

Whilst I automatically think of Anna Maria as a textile designer I was surprised to learn that she graduated with an Honours Fine Art Degree in Drawing and then went on to open a clothing and homewares boutique, Handmaiden, with her mother.  This gave Anna Maria the opportunity to design and make a clothing range which was later available wholesale to several stores across the USA.  She stills paints and exhibits aswell as colaborating with many retail outlets to produce collections in various mediums, including homewares and gifts alongside designing fabric collections.  Most amazingly Anna Maria does all this whilst being mummy to six children.  As a mother of five who always needs more time to get things done I feel inadequate looking at Anna Marias porfolio of accomplishments.  She is truly inspiring and the next time I think how am I ever going to find the time to run a business, home and family, my new mantra will be 'If Anna Maria can, so can I'.



Available from Pinnikity



Available from BellaLou



Available from Lindy Lou



Available from The Purple Fig

You can find more details about Anna Maria Horner's work here

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Lovely article! Love AMH fabrics and use them quite regularly!! Thanks for featuring one of my aprons!

Nikki x

donna said...

Thank you so much for featuring one of my dresses :-) I am so honored that you chose my work. It's always good to meet another AMH fan.

Related Posts with Thumbnails