Thursday 1 March 2012

World Book Day

Hello, what an exciting day! Which characters have your children headed off to school as this morning for World Book Day? We had an animal story theme at the girls school and the boys were quite relieved that they are too old for all this nonsense now. Although I am sure Connor would be dressing up as one of the 'Adults' from the zombie horror fiction penned by Charlie Higson.  I have also been reading this series of books but they read at such a fast pace that I have had to stop reading them at night as it makes for a restless nights sleep!


So which books are your favourites from your own childhood? I loved Enid Blyton and then as I grew older Judy Blume was my favourite.  I've been having a bit of  a giggle with a little twitter group about 'Forever' recently, who remembers Ralph?!  Then of course I moved onto proper books, To Kill A Mockingbird, Rebecca (my all time favourite), Of Mice & Men and many more besides.  I remember completly hating 'The Bostonians' by Henry James which I was made to study for A Level then struggled through Joyce's Ulysees in my final year at uni.  Studying literature made me realise that maybe me have to read bad books to truly appreciate the remarkable ones.  I have developed a very varied taste in books now, I love everything by Maeve Binchey and was disappointed that she didn't publish a book last Christmas. It's become a tradition that my mum buys her new book for me every Christmas.  Instead my lovely mum brought the latest Cecelia Ahern novel, another of my favourite contemporary writers.  Infact I seem to have a bit of a thing for Irish Women Writers as I also love Marian Keyes.

I thought today would be fun to share some of our favourite books with you, so I have asked everyone in our house which books they have loved recently and when they were younger.



Zoe
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Colour Purple by Alice Walker
A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
A Place Called Here by Cecelia Ahern
One Day by David Nicholls
This Charming Man by Marian Keyes
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
My Naughty Little Sister by Dorothy Edwards
Witches by Roald Dahl


Drew
Biggles in the Orient by W E Johns
Underwater Adventure by Willard Price
Trojan Odyssey by Clive Cussler
J. Paul Getty : The Richest American by Ralph Hewins
Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkien
Asterix


Connor (Age 13)
The Enemy by Charlie Higson
Carbon Diaries by Saci Lloyd
Jenson Button My Championship Year
Touching The Void by Joe Simpson
Biggles by W E Johns
Asterix




Jack (Age 12)
Bob The Builder
Skullduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Fergus Crane by Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell
The Edge by Alan Gibbons
Cream Cake by Chris Barton & Dee Shulman
Asterix



Lucy
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lundgren
Hetty Feather by Jacqueline Wilson
Alone on a Wide Wide Sea by Michael Morpurgo
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Green Eggs & Ham by Dr Seuss
Horrible Histories
How To Handle Your Teacher
Girls Book - How to be the Best at Everything
Asterix
Judy Moody Goes to College by Megan Mcdonald
Thomas the Tank Engine


Amber
The Guffalo by Julia Donaldson
Three Billy Goats Gruff
Rainbow Magic by Daisy Meadows
Stink by Megan McDonald
Judy Moody by Megan McDonald
Mud Puddle Farm by Michael Morpurgo
Little Wolf's Book of Badness by Ian Whybrow & Tony Ross


Kitty
Elmer
Naughty Little Sister by Dorothy Edwards
The Three Bears
Charlie & Lola by Lauren Child
The Queens Knickers by Nicholas Allan
Bananna by Ed Vere
Sir Charlie Stinky Socks by Kristina Stephenson
Hug by Jez Alborough

As you can see we have a pretty ecletic taste in fiction! 

Please share your favourites in the comments below or over on our facebook page or tweet me! I can't wait to hear about your faves :)  I'm in school this morning but promise to catch up with you all at lunchtime.

Have a fab day
Zoe
x

1 comment:

ladyyb said...

Great post. My favourite childhood books were Enid Blyton.

Related Posts with Thumbnails